Archive for the ‘sewing’ Category

Can’t decide if I should keep going with this one or not. Here’s the front:

And the back, both with the burnout velvet additions basted in place:

The problem is the cami is so small it won’t even fit on my mannequin, so it’s not going to photograph very well. Hmmmm… this one may not make it into the collection.

One of many, actually, but this one is in need of revisions. I love the front of this repurposed, upcycled camisole.

The back, however, is definitely a different story, one that belongs in the “what was I thinking” files.

That ruffle is just too big and too weird. I have some thoughts on how to improve it by repurposing the ruffle.  Stay tuned …

This little purse is kind of cute — at least in person. But for some reason, it’s not photographing very well.

It’s knit from recycled silk sari yarn, which I love to use, since it means income for women in remote areas of Nepal, who otherwise don’t have many options for earning money. Plus, it’s reversible!

The fuzzy pink material is from an old top I found at a thrift store.  It’s a nice little everyday purse, very eco-friendly and all.  But for some reason, it does not photograph well. I should probably fire my photographer, but since I am my photographer,  that’s not a really good solution. Halp!!

… assuming I finish it, of course. So far, the back has been destroyed, and believe me, that is a good thing. The back panel of this jacket was an enormous embroidered monster truck — yes, one of those crazy vehicles with tank-sized tires and a hideous paint job that always make me wonder what the owner of that thing could possibly be under the influence of. And, no — I don’t want any.

Anyway, back to the jacket. The new back panel still needs a lot of work, but I do like the way the dark red silk scarf is looking as a background for the strips. It’s sort of fun doing something that doesn’t have ruffles and lace involved for a change.  If only there were more hours in the day …

Tasteful, ladylike, simple … sometimes it’s nice to go in a different direction. And since so much of what I do is a little over the top, I loved the idea of sneaking in a surprise — a simple denim jacket with vintage (mostly) lace trim. Kind of sweet, isn’t it?

The original jacket already had two strips of lace. Those are the ones third over from the zipper on either side, the wider, floral pieces. I’ve added the others from a big box of vintage lace and trims. So far, the back has been left alone and it might stay that way. But around here, you can never tell.

But in this case, the “we” is actually me. I’ve been so tempted to try combining various sweaters into a Frankensweater and finally just gave in and did it. The result (above) isn’t awful. In fact, I would wear it. Actually, I will wear it, because it’s not salable.  I don’t have a serger, so the seam edges are unfinished, and that’s not very professional looking.

But I like the little details you can do with sweaters that aren’t appropriate for lingerie. Like the funny pockets and the little felt heart on the sleeve.  


Yes, it’s a cliche. But remember, this is an experimental sweater. And then there’s the back, which could use a little more something or other, but what?

Meanwhile, I’m looking for advice on sergers. Suggestions are welcome!

Question: Is anyone really going to wear a partially see-through top?

Answer: I guess we have to wait and see.

This one’s nearly done, so it should debut at etsy in a day or two. It’ll be interesting to see the reaction. This fabric is so sheer it’s almost invisible. Perfect for anyone who doesn’t mind having the whole  world seeing their “bidness.” But that’s the beauty part of living in LA — there are people here who have built entire careers on letting it all hang out, as we used to say.

I bought the little shell top at an estate sale, and am adding the beaded flower fabric. This particular combination seemed to work best, out of the eighteen or so different possibilities I tried. Seriously! Upcycling isn’t as easy as it looks. Or maybe I’m  doing it wrong. But who cares? When you finally get all the elements in place it’s so gratifying that all those “Ewwww, that’s not working” steps along the way are forgotten. Sort of.

I love love LOVE this pale green denim jacket. The cut, the fabric, the seam detailing — they’re all just perfect. But as nice as it was, it was still plain — and truthfully, around here plain doesn’t stand a chance.

So … meet the new, improved version, with appliqued embroidered silk panels in front and back, plus a detachable silk “flower.” The final element, which involves the addition of a beautiful cotton yarn outlining the seams on the right front, isn’t in place yet. Hopefully, I won’t screw it up and it’ll be done soon.

The shamrock bag was nearly done. It just needed pockets. There was some byoooootiful green stretch velour that looked so great with the other fabrics. But let’s just say it ain’t happening.

I would post pictures of the “pockets” but they’re too embarrassing. I’m not sure where I went wrong, but holy mackerel — as nice as that fabric is, it requires a special skill that I do not possess to sew it properly. The so-called pockets look like they were made by someone who had just polished off a pitcher of martinis. Yeeeesh!

I probably should have looked for tutorials online, but somehow that only occurs to me after the disaster occurs. There seems to be a pattern developing here …